HOMEPAGE FORUMS NEWS DOCUMENTATION SCREENSHOTS
SystemRescueCd forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 21:38

graphical frontend to clamscan (clamav) 

Post graphical frontend to clamscan (clamav)
Hi,
I love Sysreccd and i sometimes use it to disinfect some pcs cause it always has recent virus signatures (the release rate is high). But I hate typing all the arguments needed by clamav to move the files in a quarantine folder, save the report, make a beep etc. so it'd be nice to use a graphical frontend to make it easier (i don't remember the name of the one i once used, but i think there should be some nice ones)
Thnx in advance

16 Jun 2008, 12:12

the only graphical fe i know of is kde's klamav, but i'm certain it's hard to get it to run on sysresccd.
Quote:
I hate typing all the arguments needed by clamav to move the files in a quarantine folder, save the report, make a beep etc.

why don't you save them in a shellscript you burn on the cd/dvd? you could even start it with the autorun-feature and have reports etc saved in a usbstick/floppy/network-mount/cd...

GOOD LUCK!

03 Jul 2008, 11:31
Site Admin

That's right, I love the KDE programs but the KDE packages are just too big to fit on a rescuecd like that one.

03 Jul 2008, 18:38

Post ClamTK
Hi,
Thought you already heard about clamtk, that's why I didn't search for its name :-)
it's not a KDE software, and I don't think it's too heavy, is it ?
there's another one named avscan, but I think clamtk is better

10 Aug 2008, 09:52

Post Re: graphical frontend to clamscan (clamav)
For up-to-date protection on a non-internet-connected PC, apparently you can download new virus data files from http://www.clamav.org/download/cvd , and you could put those on a USB stick along with shell scripts for your preferred command line switches, including probably the switches to use the data files on the stick instead of /var/lib/clamav/ .

If you boot "rescuecd docache", can you alternatively copy new data files into /var/lib/clamav/ ? I don't know.

I would suggest that SRCD could be published safely with updated clamav data files not used in the beta issue. For instance 1.3.4 de-beta-ed (?) on 28th December with virus library dated 15th. But today's virus writers themselves can give you a new virus every day, so even a couple of days is too old for a virus scanner. That also applies then to writing updated clamav databases into the iso, unless you re-do it every day, probably with a CD-RW.

Also, since I used clamav from SRCD 1.3.3 and again from 1.3.4 (and did some other things), my Windows PC is misbehaving and I only hope that isn't because of SRCD or clamav.

Specifically, I had disabled AutoRun, using some Windows Updates and some registry entries. But now AutoRun is running again. I'm hoping this has not happened to other people after using SRCD and clamav.

Incidentally, clamav claimed to have found viruses in some of F-Secure anti-virus's data files. I suppose that may be the point.

29 Dec 2009, 06:45