HOMEPAGE FORUMS NEWS DOCUMENTATION SCREENSHOTS
SystemRescueCd forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Sep 2014, 04:24

software startup / autorun, graphical environment 

Post software startup / autorun, graphical environment
Hello everybody!

I have seen SystemRescueCD a few days ago and want to play & work with it. I think it is a really nice set of tools and a good setup. I was able to customize the CD -- at least a bit the design. I was able to change panel and background settings.

I have to admit that I am not very familiar with Linux and therfore would need your help, please.

I have set the boot menu, so that the system automatically starts up with graphical environment (xfce; set "dostartx" as a default boot parameter). I've also seen that there is the option to have autorun scripts but I am not sure if this is the way I want to use it. What I want is that after having started the graphical environment some programs based on this graphical environment should pop up. I think the autorun scripts (described here) are executed before startup of the X system, am I right?

Where I are the specific config files where I can define which programs should start automatically if the system is ready (similar to Windows, if you know that).

When I start the current system there's always a terminal window that will pop up. Is this defined by the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file?
Edit: I have placed a "firefox-bin &" in the second to last line. I think it works. But is it good there?

One last question: is it possible to get the output of the fsarchiver program? I want to use it's output to display a simple progress bar to the user only. I have thought about pipeing the output to the standard input of a tool I can write. But I think the output is not written to the standard output? (Maybe I am completely wrong. As I said, there's not a big knowledge of Linux yet). Do you have other suggestions? I think it would be possible to modify and recompile but that's probably not the best way to do it.
Edit: okay.. I think I am on the right way, just had a research on this yesterday and couldn't find it. I think I have to redirect stderr to stdout. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2999&p=9078#p9078, http://www.fsarchiver.org/forums/viewto ... =16&t=1014

Thank you!

Matthias

14 Jul 2011, 07:26

Post Re: software startup / autorun, graphical environment
matthiasw wrote:
When I start the current system there's always a terminal window that will pop up. Is this defined by the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file?
Edit: I have placed a "firefox-bin &" in the second to last line. I think it works. But is it good there?

Terminal is started via
/root/.config/autostart/Terminal.desktop
create a file like /root/.config/autostart/Firefox.desktop with the format of Terminal.desktop.

you can use textmode autorun to create this file or modify the image.

Gernot

14 Jul 2011, 15:59