HOMEPAGE FORUMS NEWS DOCUMENTATION SCREENSHOTS
SystemRescueCd forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:08

Inclusion of Mondo? 

Post Inclusion of Mondo?
I am once again searching for image backup software. It seems that very few things support ext4 with file level restore, even the commercial Linux backup software I have treats it as a blob. Now that KUbuntu has defaulted to ext4, I am once again searching.

I have yet to test Mondo, but hear some great things about it. I do NOT have Windows or any Microsoft OS installed on this computer. I'm looking for something which comes on a bootable CD/DVD and includes all I need. I guess if I get really desperate I could get another USB stick and jump through the hoops of making a custom boot, but...I would really rather this product add mono, or, find a link to a custom burn ISO.

Thanks,

20 Oct 2010, 14:29
Site Admin

Post Re: Inclusion of Mondo?
I had a look at Mondo in the past, but it's a nightmare to integrate. I have written fsarchiver to provide a good replacement for partimage, and it works with ext4. It's in SystemRescueCd.

21 Oct 2010, 11:42

Thanks,

I took a look at this page:

http://www.fsarchiver.org/QuickStart

and I don't think I'll be messing with fsarchiver. Like far too many Unix/Linux tools it is expert friendly from the command line and doesn't have a text based menuing system for common users. I currently use:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

which has much of what I need, even if it isn't free, but it doesn't support ext4, just blobs the thing. It also doesn't have a file viewer single select under any OS other than Windows, which corks me off a bit since I only have one sacrificial Windows partition on an old notebook. Other than that, it is completely text menu driven and reliable. If they could get ext4 support and mountable images under Linux that would be cool, but I don't think sales are pushing them forward.

21 Oct 2010, 14:12

Backup Software Requirements

1) Ships on single disk or single ISO which can be burned or USB stick loaded.
2) Directly bootable for both backup AND restore, requires no installation.
3) Requires no Microsoft OS.
4) Full support for FAT32, NTFS, ext3, and ext4, including single file restore.
5) Menu and pick driven, no command line interface required.
6) Backup to USB/firewire connected hard drives.
7) Ability to change partition size on restore.
8) Backs up only used sectors.
9) Create single backup file for multiple partitions and target can be NTFS formatted USB drive.
10) Ability to backup an entire drive image into a single file and restore the image perfectly with all attributes.

22 Oct 2010, 16:35

Have you already looked at Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/)? It seems to fulfill all 10 points, except single file restore, but I guess you'll have to try hard to find one able to...

22 Oct 2010, 23:25

Clonzilla does not currently support ext4 or single file restore. If I remember correctly, it also doesn't support restoring a larger partition to a smaller space which is large enough to hold the used sectors. It also does not support single image creation, it really requires a whole drive to write to rather than just creating a TBI file on an existing USB drive.

Yes, the web page has ext4 in red, but if you tunnel down you will find ext4 is only supported in "blob" fashion, which means it's a useless backup.

Thanks for the thought though.

There are many programs which do everything I want EXCEPT that they require an initial Windows installation which is then used to burn stand alone disks. I'm looking for a product which has skipped the Windows installation step.

25 Oct 2010, 23:00

seasonedgeek wrote:
Thanks,

I took a look at this page:

http://www.fsarchiver.org/QuickStart

and I don't think I'll be messing with fsarchiver. Like far too many Unix/Linux tools it is expert friendly from the command line and doesn't have a text based menuing system for common users. I currently use:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

which has much of what I need, even if it isn't free, but it doesn't support ext4, just blobs the thing. It also doesn't have a file viewer single select under any OS other than Windows, which corks me off a bit since I only have one sacrificial Windows partition on an old notebook. Other than that, it is completely text menu driven and reliable. If they could get ext4 support and mountable images under Linux that would be cool, but I don't think sales are pushing them forward.

my script isn't an optimal solution, but is fully functional if you want to backup/restore one or more partition with fsarchiver on text-menu interface.
First, you start system from cd (i have an iso of standard sysrecuecd plus my script), then connect an external USB drive (if you don't plan to use network via file sharing) .
fsarchiver_dialog, for archive of images can do a guided mount of network windows (samba) file sharing or a guided mounting of external usb disk...
take a look, if you want: http://zolli.altervista.org/fsa_dial/index.html

tip: use default path becouse interface for input isn't a best one

bye
claudio

12 Jan 2011, 17:23