HOMEPAGE FORUMS NEWS DOCUMENTATION SCREENSHOTS
SystemRescueCd forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 04:16

Drive letters change on boot 

Post Drive letters change on boot
I have a SCSI drive chain. I also have a SATA USB backup drive and a couple of SD card readers. In all of my older versions, the hard drives were looked at first and assigned in the /dev as /dev/sd[a-f], then my other items, treated as SCSI (listed above), were made available with additional names of /dev/sd[g-?]. This new version takes the first drive it identifies as SCSI and it becomes /dev/sda, next drive /dev/sdb, etc. It finally gets to my SCSI main drives and now they're /dev/sdf and so on. I have to unplug all my SCSI "Look alikes" and boot so my SCSI drives come out as /dev/sda?. Then plug in any other needed pseudo-SCSI devices.
If I'm not mistaken, if I do a partimage save and the drive is something like /dev/sdf5, when I might have to restore it, it's expecting to find sdf5, when it was actually saved as /dev/sda5. I believe this messes up the boot area and puts the wrong drive values in them.

16 Apr 2010, 17:41

Post Re: Drive letters change on boot
I have also noticed on my laptop, that my drives use to be /dev/sd? as well. Now they have changed names to /dev/hd?. All of my USB Psudo-SCSI are now /dev/sd?. It is very difficult trying to backup and overwrite the partitions when they change names almost every version. You have to be very careful to use the right name. Some consistency would be much appreciated; you're not always paying that close attention.

18 Apr 2010, 17:03