HOMEPAGE FORUMS NEWS DOCUMENTATION SCREENSHOTS
SystemRescueCd forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 23:55

eeepc hangs with acpi message 

Post eeepc hangs with acpi message
Hi, I'm going slowly insane... but I'll cut to the chase. Sorry if this is the wrong forum as I'm not sure if it's actually a hardware issue; I'm not really an expert.

Setup: Asus eeepc 701 4gb surf
Runs: Original Xandros on SSD, and eeebuntu installed on usb.

I was using it one night OK.
Next day, booted Xandros on SSD, saw the splash screen and then it went black.

Steps I've Tried to Fix it So Far...

1 -- Pressed CMOS reset with a toothpick, and it did the same.
2 -- Did an F9 restore, booted to the message: 'Uncompressing Linux, OK, booting the kernal...' then just a cursor.
3 -- Tried eeebuntu on usb (previously OK) booted to message 'starting up'
4 -- Tried eeebuntu on usb, recovery mode. Booted to 0.336623] ACPI: Checking for initramfs for custom DSDT.
5 -- Started up, pressed F2, got BIOS ok, returned to defaults. No effect.
6 -- Made a new live eeebuntu usb in windows cybercafe, boots to a unetbootin screen, followed by a cursor but no further.
7 -- Opened up the RAM cover, reseated the ram and touched the metal CMOS plates with metal while grounded. No effect.
8 -- Made a live puppy linux on usb, which booted as far as the message: No default or UI configuration directives found.
9 -- Made a live Damn Small Linux usb. Booted as far as 'uncompressing linux, booting the kernal' message again.

Next, I made System Rescue CD with universal installer to usb, and did the following

1 -- Option one booted as far as the message: 0041200] ACPI: core revision 20090903

Various boot attempts with system rescue usb:

Booting option 2 with all files cached to memory booted as far as the message: 0.041230] ACPI core revision 20090903
Booting straight into graphical environment got as far as: 0.037229 ACPI core revision 20090903
Booting option E existing OS got as far as: 0.041223 ACPI core revision 20090903
Boot option A with nodetect = same ACPI error message.
Boot option A with nodetect lowmem acpi-off noacpi irqpool = same ACPI message
Boot option C with acpi-off / noapic / irqpool = The usual ACPI error followed by: 0.062141] ACPI: setting ELCR to 0200 (from0ca8)

Trying system tools from floppy image:

Freedos: = message: 'invalid upcode'
AIDA = gave an 'invalid code at.....' message
GAG = SEEMS OK
MHDD = seems ok
SGB - MAGIC BOOT = alloc magic is broken at ox1f3decf0
SGB - BOOT LINUX OPTION = Splash screen then black.
SGB - Pressing the relevant key, I did get a grub prompt... but don't really know what to do with it.

Memtest

Ran memtest and it said ok, with various info like:
L1 cache 32k 7242mbs
L2 cache 512k 3337mbs
L3 cache: none
Memory: 503m
Chipset intel i915
ECC disabled CAS 3-3-3-9
Single channel 64 bits

Last thing I tried: booting the 32bit image, with acpi-off / noapic / irqpool, which booted as far as the usual acpi message, followed by 0.062141] ACPI: setting ELCR to 0200 (fromoca8)

Context

Possibly it's obvious I'm no expert, and am hoping any kind reply would bear that in mind.
I'm abroad in Asia, living in a hotel, using a cybercafe while the eee is down. The owners won't let me test the live usb, I'm assuming it's ok on the basis it worked previously and stopped working when the ssd did.
I love my eee, and miss it. Any help or advice is deeply appreciated.

31 Aug 2010, 09:41

Post Re: eeepc hangs with acpi message
lifemagic wrote:
Last thing I tried: booting the 32bit image, with acpi-off / noapic / irqpool, which booted as far as the usual acpi message, followed by 0.062141] ACPI: setting ELCR to 0200 (fromoca8)

Is this a typo? It shold be acpi=off

You can try "Damn small Linux" which has an old 2.4 kernel just to be sure.

Gernot

31 Aug 2010, 15:26

Yes, it was a typo there.

Just to update. I've managed, just now, to boot UBCD, and am looking into that.

Still open to any ideas.

01 Sep 2010, 08:05

DEVELOPMENTS

Using UBCD:

Basic Linux: works.
Smart Boot Manager: only displays cursor.
Guijin: message 'detecting disks'.

Supergrub:
MBRboot:
sda (with Xandros on) = boots back to the UBCD menu
sdc (eeebuntu live on usb) = the usual unetbootin menu which just keeps returning to itself.
Boot linux directly:
IDE = error 15 file not found
SCSJ = error 15 file not found
Fix GNU Linux = "embed /boot/grub/exfs_stage 1-5 (hd1)"...

Trying to fix grub at the grub command manually:
find /boot/grub/stage1 = [enter]
(fd0)
(hd1,0)
root (hd1,0) [enter]
setup (hd1) [enter]
= screen went black

Testmem IV = worked and did it's routine and said all OK.

One other thing, I noticed in the BIOS the information 'IDE slave not detected'

02 Sep 2010, 07:43

UPDATE

Yes, I worked out that there isn't supposed to be an IDE slave detected in the BIOS.

I kept playing with UBDC last night, and worked on the 'hard disk (and sdd?) tools.

MHDD

This worked, and picked up the drive 'Siliconmotion SM223AC' which I presume is my ssd. It did some kind of scan, showing a large grey block of ... whatever it scanned, all ,10ms. It all looked OK (to the untrained eye).

TESTDISK

Analyise =

Disk 81 4001Mb/3815MB - CHS 48625563

1 - P Linux 0 1 1 299 25463 [system]
2 - P Linux 3000 1 *** *** [user]
3 - P Fat32 LBA 484 01 ****** [BIOS]
4 - P EFI (Fat - 12/16/32) **********
No partition is bootable

(I'm using stars to indicate various numbers I didn't record)

___

Taking advice from another board, I need to download ubcd version 503 to get gparted included, and use this to try and repair the disk.

If not, then testdisk to try and restore the mbr.

If not, then boot and nuke to clear the drive, and try eeebuntu live again.

If not, flash the bios.

If not, I'm bricked.

03 Sep 2010, 13:09

UPDATE

I downloaded ubcd 503, and got gparted to work. It's in the 'parted magic' suite, which will only run when I run it from an option, safe boot > no acpi, which is strange as acpi is coming up again.

It brought up sda1 and I let it check and repair. I made the sector bootable. But there was no difference when trying to boot from it.

From the same suitue of programs, I used a file manager, and could access the entire directory structure of sda1.

Then I used testdisk. This is where I went wrong. The first drive it listed is now marked as bootable. I went to another option to 'write a new copy of the MBR code to first sector'. It did so. Now when I try to boot from sda1, it shows 1234F: with a cursor, and pressing enter repeats the message. Yipee, I lost my MBR!

Then I had a sudden thought. Now I can access sda1, why not move the boot and grub menu to ubcd-usb, unplug everything and try to boot eeebuntu-usb alone; this would have the same effect as nuking the ssd as there would be no boot info anywhere to confuse it. I tried and it would only let me move some folders, which I did. Then I renamed /boot (on sda1) to /NOTboot.

Then I unplugged everything except eeebuntu-usb, tried to boot from it, same as before, a unetbootin menu that keeps booting to itself.

So... I've probably lost native Xandros as I messed up the MBR.

The upside is, that little 'parted magic' suitue is a mini-operating system. I have a pdf reader and image viewer and can type and save to usb with leafpad, and that's going to save me a load of money in cybercafes as I'm using the eee for studying courses I'm taking at the moment.

Right now, I'm getting Knoppix from a torrent to see if that works.

The main goal at this point is to put the new Xandros iso (which I have) or eeebuntu on the ssd, no idea what to do as I still can't boot a live usb and, as far as I understand, nuking the drive will make no difference.

04 Sep 2010, 11:29

I dont know eeepc , but some PC are able to switch the SATA controller to act like PATA to the os. With luck SGD works after this.

Think you the "condition" of the xandros partition is ok?
Try fsck,badblocks and find from the working liveCD.
If the working livecd is "compatible" you can try is to chroot to installed xandros and run there grub-install.

gernot

p.s. i saw ubuntu netbook-remix running from USB on a eeePC

04 Sep 2010, 12:35

I 'think' I just tried the grub install thing.

I updated the BIOS first though. I put a FAT16 formatted 2gb drive in with bios 1302 renamed as 701.rom. It found it, said it was erasing, then 'the BIOS' update is finished. Please press the power button to shut down the system.

I started it up again, pressed F2 for the BIOS. The new version is shown, with the ssd detected, os set to finished, boot priority set to removable media as the first, ssd as second, so I tried to boot eeebuntu on usb again... but it was the same, booting repeatedly into a unetbootin menu with the options default and help.

I booted eeebuntu again, got the same menu but chose help. There was a screen of code as far as:

0.329721] ACPI Core revision 20080926
0.337021] ACPI: Checking initramfs for custom DIST

which is the same as before the BIOS update.

However, UBCD still boots. I went to 'super grub disc' and pressed c for a command line to try and repair the mbr on sda1. At the command line, I typed:

find /boot/grub/stage1

and got the output:

(fd0)

I input:

root (fd0)

and it output:

'filesystem is fat, using whole disk'

So... back where I started.

08 Sep 2010, 13:14

UPDATE

I used gparted to delete the partitions on sda1. I deleted both the following:

/dev/sda1 ext2 2.30gb
/dev/sda1 /media/sda2 USER 141mb

Afterwards, the main partition was a single block of 'unallocated' space, of 3.71gb.
The first sector 0 and last 7775459, of a total of 7775460

Left undeleted were:

/dev/sda3 unknown system. It was followed by the symbol of an exclamation mark in a triangle and a black square, had the label BIOS the flag was lba and it was 7.84mb
/dev/sda4, also followed by an exclamation mark, no labels or flags, 7.8mb.

I shut down, tried to restart, the new eee 701 iso installed to usb. This showed the usual unetbootin menu, a 'starting system' message and then nothing.

The live eeebuntu usb was exactly the same, booting as far as '0.336948 ACPI: CHECKING INITRAMFS for custom dists'.

Then I went back to gparted, applied an ext2 label to the primary partition, so it was no longer unallocated, tried to boot both again with the same result.

Notes:

When gparted was doing its thing, the ssd light at the front flashed for a while, something it hasn't done since the trouble started.

When I was looking around sda1 before I formatted it, I noticed a file called BIOS which had a file in called 07121700.EN and showed up as a program. No idea if that's normal or if it's still there or not.

Gparted still shows two little blocks of unformatted space at the right hand end. I'm not touching them because one of them is called BIOS.

The splash screen still comes up OK. UBCD and Parted Magic are still OK. The sdd is still listed/recognised in the bios.

So... I don't know now. Perhaps use unetbootin on ubcd to install something and see what that does, or perhaps nuke, in case there's some file still being read? I don't know.

10 Sep 2010, 13:39

UPDATE

Trying to install pupeee to usb

I formatted a 2gb drive to fat32, put the files on manually, then let unetbootin put the custom kernal on and I replaced the config file manually.

It booted to a pupee splash, and I tried to boot the default.

It went:

loading /vmlinuz................
loading initrd.gz ................................ ready.

then the writing stayed there, and a cursor appeared at the top right under the L of the first word loading.

Nothing happened. I pressed all the keys on the keyboard and nothing.

Booting the advanced menu, all the options boot to the same result.

11 Sep 2010, 13:48

UPDATE

Putting Pupee on SDA1

I booted ubcd. Put in the usb key with the pupee files and put them all on sda1, then clicked on the linux installer in the /boot file.

A console came up saying it was doing it, it said it was done on sda1 and that the drive would be bootable.

I booted with no usb's. Got the pupeee splash, and it booted to the same result:

loading /vmlinuz................
loading initrd.gz ................................ ready.

then the writing stayed there, and a cursor appeared at the top right under the L of the first word loading.

NOTE: I did this without using gparted to delete those little two partitions on the drive, one of which is called BIOS. There was the one large partition 1 formatted to ext2.

Hang on... is sda1 bootable? I have the eee before me. (I'm in a cybercafe, eee on the keyboard ledge and keyboard on my lap, they must think I'm mad).

Oh, I'm looking at it now. It says:

/dev/sda1 ext2 /media/sda1 3.71gb used 198.00 Unused 3.51gb flags: boot.

So, in gparted, the partition is listed as /dev/sda1 but the mount point is /media/sda1 ... of course it is, I'm using UBCD... so that doesn't mean anything.

So... I keep saying it. At least I have parted magic.

Yipee. Yipee.

Oh, one last thing.

When I went to sda1 to put the Pupeee files on, there was a 'lost and found' folder still existing on that drive.

11 Sep 2010, 13:48

Hi, I'm going to abandon this thread, out of good manners. Mainly because its a system rescue cd forum, and I could only use ubcd in the end. However, I'll continue posting at:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=87991&p=2

If you have any idea, it would be great if you could post there.

My email is lifemagic at g.m.a.i.l. dot & com.

Thanks.

Somebody, somewhere is going to be the genius that can solve my Bermuda Triangle of all computer programs, if it's you - please come and find me!

11 Sep 2010, 13:53